Old 06-13-19, 07:27 AM
Kilroy1988 

Bikes: ~1950 Raleigh Popular, 1951 New Hudson Silver Arrow, ~1970 Frejus Tour de France, 1970 Raleigh Super Course, 1980 Raleigh Super Course 12, 1986 Club Fuji

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert View Post
OK, the New Hudson is beautiful. Breathtaking. Cracking. Why let it be tedious? Sprints, or tubulars as we call them now, will fit handily under those mudguards and fitment of sprints would have been completely normal in 1951 Britain. Following that up with shorter reach brakes would be just as normal. My experience with 1950s sprint rims says they were far better made than same label rims we suffered in 70s. Sprint tires of course are marvelous in current production.
Well, I got the bike in totally original condition from a resaler who had it from the original owner. I even have the sales receipt from the shop, whose transfer is still located on the seat tube above the New Hudson decal. I sort of like bikes like this for their originality. If I were to go for new wheels and brakes, I'd want some 175mm crank arms as well, and a new stem to put me out a bit further... And by then I'd just as well buy myself a 531 DB frame of comparable vintage to slap all of that stuff on and call it a day.

-Gregory