View Single Post
Old 06-14-19, 02:48 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
I’m not sure. I just passed it up and he happily took it as if it happens all the time. It’s the baggage car so I suspect he strapped it down.
I’ll post again when we get to Denver and report how the bike looks at that end.
Everybody at Emeryville and the guy in the baggage car acted as if it was totally normal. I wish they’d communicate better. I spent considerable mental resources figuring out contingency plans—got there 2 hrs early in case we had to break it down and box it up; had our son drive us to station instead of riding there—that was totally unnecessary. The Amtrak website and the very friendly people on the phone were worse than useless: if we’d paid heed we would have broken the bike down and boxed it. I’m not sure why my wife had to physically go to the station to find it was fine.
YMMV!
But don’t take no for an answer.
Thanks!
This is one of the first sites I read that stopped me in my tracks: https://www.adventurecycling.org/blo...re-to-find-it/ Maybe you can share your experience in their comments section at the bottom.