View Single Post
Old 06-15-19, 11:55 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
looks good. Good penetration where it matters, got a little cold around the edges. Smooth and no pinholes. The gasflux bronze is really nice to work with. A lot of people suffer with lfb they get from the local welding supply, who knows what is in that stuff, lots of pinholes.
When I did my first frame work, for my buddy Chip up in Vermont, he got me some lfb (low fuming bronze) from his Harris guy. I told him to get me the same spec as the Gasflux C-04 but he returned with something different so I had to buy the Gasflux rod from Framebuilder Supply. The commonly-sold lfb is RBCuZn-C, which is all the Harris guy could get. The Gasflux C-04 is RBCuZn-B. The difference between these specs is that -B has nickel and -C doesn't. In addition the Harris RBCuZn-C doesn't list lead or manganese in the composition either. I've never tried to do bike stuff with the RBCuZn-C.