Thread: Addiction LXXIV
View Single Post
Old 06-19-19, 03:30 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Half and half straight out of the carton? That’s just nasty. Too fat. Although I did make some fig ice cream last week. Three cups of half and half, a cup of fit preserves, and a pinch of salt. Scald together, chill in the fridge and freeze in an ice cream freezer. Yum.

The trick of of course is to find fig preserves. If you are ever on I-10 in Breaux Bridge, LA, you can buy it at the Little Capitol convenience store at the Cecilia exit. That's what we do whenever we drive back and forth to New Orleans.

Speaking more generally, I have found that fruit jams and preserves make a tremendous shortcut source of sugar and fruit for cooking and baking. Supposing you want to make a strawberry pastry cream or custard. Just look on the bottle for the sugar content and use enough of the preserves to supply the amount of sugar the recipe calls for. The fruit just tags along. Best way to make cooked fruit desserts there is.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 06-19-19 at 03:55 PM.