Old 06-20-19, 08:39 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
An on-coming cyclist nearly hit me today, and the incident gave me an interesting new perspective.

I was cruising along at 12-14mph round a long, wide bend on a circa 5ft wide MUP with a high hedge on the inside. So visibility was around 3 seconds. I was on the outside, which was my side of the path.

Suddenly a cyclist came at me, kinda on my side. He was going notably faster, panicked, weaved around as he struggled to override his reactions and get his bike over his side.

Buzzy hub, drop bars, tiny tyres, patterned tight top.. this was a roadie who seemed to forget he was on an MUP. No hat though, oddly.

I didn't flinch. I just held my ground. The whole episode took less than two seconds, indicating that was his visibility distance, and the time it took him to get it together and miss me. I'd guess with that, plus what I saw in general skatty bike movement, that he was doing about 25mph. Not as fast as he could've been with some commitment, but quicker than conditions allowed.

Now you'll probably be thinking I'm here to enjoy the chance to do a bit of roadie-bashing. I make no apologies for my attitude that most are the boy racers of the cycling world. Happy to make uncomfortable and unsafe compromises to go unsociably faster.

But no. For some reason, it became apparent that he was just doing his normal. Riding that way, and having that attitude, is all he knows.

So then this topic popped into my head. And the attitude towards e-bikes I see here on Bike Forums. See, we judge the world based on our own experiences and values. I wouldn't trust him on my e-bike because he'd ride it dangerously. I was sat there at like 13mph but tell him it can do four times that speed and he'd want it banned from the MUP..

And it surprises me when I see that here, by people living in the land of ''Guns don't kill people, people do''.
Sounds like a synopsis for a screenplay: Chicken Game Cyclist? In the real world however, what happens to you, happens to him.