Old 06-24-19, 08:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6301 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 713 Posts
Depend son how it is sprung. Likely it is elastomers---compressible rubber donuts around the sliders inside the tubes. They will lose their elasticity in time and simply not spring back. At that time you will probably start to notice the clunk when you hit bumps, and some up-and-down shaking because the fork will not fully rebound. Depending on how old the fork it, you could possibly source new elastomers. Likely unless you are doing major jumps, the fork will last a long time before that is a problem. Elastomers will also harden with age .....

Unlikely you have a spring in oil, but in that case eventually your seals might go. Rebuild or replace.

If I were riding a suspended bike and the fork blew, I would tear strips of bandana (because I always carry a couple) and tie the outer fork-mount bolts to the top of the stanchion to keep if from moving so much and just ride it to where I was going. if you are just commuting, likely you could just ride it as is and take a big jolt every now and then, because the bumps would be smaller.