Old 06-24-19, 11:50 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I FINALLY get around to catching up on this thread, and you had to post this:
Originally Posted by smontanaro
For the other procrastinators out there (I am perhaps a charter member in the club), I offer this recent article from the NY Times:

Why You Procrastinate (It Has Nothing to Do With Self-Control)
Well, I'll read the article tomorrow.

Like - almost everything. Bringing any old inop bike back to life. That first test ride, even when you know there's plenty more work to do. Oddly, I especially like discovering some of the "creative" maintenance gaffes left by previous owners. Bikes that we "bottom-feed", from the thrift store or free CL, etc. Some were obviously given up for dead, just because so many things were wrong, and/or were badly ham-fisted. It's fun finding out that reversing all those gaffes is all the bike really needed.

Dislike - taping drop bars. Yeah, seems to be a favorite "like" in this thread. And my last tape job, I think I did pretty well (Calvin Jones method). But I don't like having to commit to a tape color. And I'm terrible at keeping some colors clean; they get dirty just by looking at them. Also, I'm always second-guessing whether I've put the levers in the right position. It's one of those ops that's not amenable to tweaking afterward, and post-op tweaking is in my nature.