Old 06-27-19, 08:59 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Bike Choice

Originally Posted by stewartcycles
Hello. I am new to this forum. I am looking for advice on a new all purpose bike. I typically have a 28 mile round trip commute with decent hills in Minneapolis along the Mississippi. I am considering the Salsa Marrakesh or the Surly Disc Trucker or the MASI-Giramondo. They are all within $100-$300 of each other. I also want to go on longer rides on the weekends eventually working my way up to a century. The one downside I have heard about the Disc Trucker is that it needs to be weighed down at all times which is not always convenient. I like the sifters on these bikes as the integrated sifter and break that is the trend these days is not the right fit for me. I would appreciate any advice.
thank you
Have an All-City Spacehorse (canti brake) that I built up with bar-end shifters...course it is a sport touring all-around bike, not quite as heavy duty as the 3 you have mentioned, but something similar would totally do what you're asking. I had initially inquired in my LBS that built this bike up if the LHT would do what I was looking for, sportive rides, with some touring, they steered me towards the SH for the more sporty ride, but of course it doesn't come equipped with your preferred shifter, but can likely be built up from frame/fork for very similar to the stock LHT. Just a thought.

For existing bikes out there equipped similarly to the LHT, that might not be quite as tour specific, I'd suggest the Kona Sutra. Comes with bar end shifters, brooks b17 saddle, full coverage fenders, and rear rack for $1500. Same 4130 frame and fork material as the LHT et al. I've only test ridden the Kona Sutra. It has a very pleasant ride unloaded from my observations. Felt sportier than a traditional touring bike, but is certainly up to the job.