View Single Post
Old 06-30-19, 04:26 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I have been quite remiss: I never replied to Chicago Al way back in what was it: 2012? But no, the number is as I wrote it: 2642595 so it doesn't end in "75" and maybe that scotches the tidy idea that the last 2 digits correspond to the build-year...but maybe the LAST digit does...?
FINALLY!!!! Well, I guess that scotches that hypothesis, though I figured it was too neat to be true anyway.

Now I can get on with my life...

lol

Actually it was a nice surprise to get an email notification that there was a response after so many years. I hadn't quite forgotten this thread, but I don't hang out here on BF so much anymore. Don't scour CL, don't have a collection, found that tended to distract from actually riding.

Still have my beloved Grand Record though, in fact was just cleaning it up yesterday. In a couple of hours I'll be joining friends, some of whom are here on BF some on CR, or both, for a 30+ mile ride on Chicago's lakefront.

Looking back over the last couple of years' posts, which is a treat. I still think the GR, with Nervex lugs, and esp in black/red or 'bumblebee' is one of the most beautiful bikes ever.

In fact I was just thinking yesterday that I'd post in C&V to ask if anyone's ever seen a limited-edition Brooks Champion Special in a maroon or deep red color. I've switched from a Pro to a Champion Special I picked up and I like it, but it's a limited edition in a kind of faded green. Nice color but not best on the bike. I'll put up a pic later.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-30-19 at 04:45 AM.