Old 07-05-19, 05:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by BobKl
Steve,

It is not that there is a "problem", but that if one likes/needs to cycle at night, then their research demonstrates that to improve visibility of the cyclists' presence (by up to 50%) that lighting up the cyclists' body, and especially the moving legs, would achieve this improvement. How one achieves this added lighting can be done with either (active) lighting system (as I suggest) or (passive) reflectors and reflective clothing. But the reflectors only light up a very small portion of the cyclist's legs and reflective clothing is cumbersome to wear (especially in warm summer nights). So if you feel confident in using reflectors go ahead, but for (research) proven visibility enhancement I would use an active lighting system.

And what shortcomings are you referring to regarding "illuminating the rider"? As long as you do not light up the rider's face (as happens with oncoming motor vehicles or other cyclist's front (white) headlamps) there is no problem.
regarding the term "problem".... it was meant to refer to what was being fixed, or perhaps improved. If someone is going to spend money on something, it is usually because some aspect of the current configuration is considered less than adequate.
So... can you define what you consider "less than adequate", and describe what level of performance you are seeking?
I'll go out on a limb and say that you find your side visibility to be in need of improvement. Fair enough.
You've referenced the research again, but haven't shared a link to the results yet. Did they evaluate various methods of improving side visibility, or just look at one method?

You mention side reflectors. I do use some, but I've also provided a couple of ways of making my lights shed light to the sides (see my earlier post). I've also experimented with amber side lights, and I think they help with side visibility.

Regarding potential problems with shining lights on the rider... I'm not saying they exist. Mostly, I'm saying that there is a potential for problems.
One that comes to mind is the increase of ambient light in the rider's field of view, and the chance that this could reduce the rider's adaptation to darkness and the attendant loss of effectiveness of the bike's headlight.

So what are your plans for this lighting method? Personal use, or some plans to sell it?

Steve in Peoria