View Single Post
Old 07-07-19, 07:46 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
“Less maintenance” LOL I totally disagree. Also when dealing with a puncture disc brakes are much faster over drum.
I think @fietsbob and others have made their case for less maintenance - that pads and rotors both need to be replaced several times in the time that the drum brake will last I think is the point of maintenance, and that drum brakes won't go out of true if they're bumped in the bike rack, far more difficult for them to get contaminated, etc..

As far as the tire change speed, unless a support car mechanic is throwing on a ready wheel, the 15 seconds to disconnect the cable and loosen the reaction arm is negligible in fixing a flat. If I've got a flat, whether I'm running rim brakes or drum, I assume I'm taking 7min or so - I usually remove the tube, sand the area around the hole and glue it, wait 5min for the glue, patch then start to put everything back together.
And I've come across many people on the way home unable to get their disc-equipped wheel back on - presumably because they bumped their brake lever slightly while their wheel was off. I always stop and try to help, sometimes have a tool I can use (if I took a butter knife with my lunch that day), but usually don't.
You can disagree with the crowd on which is less trouble, but it's certainly not a laughter inducing difference.