View Single Post
Old 07-08-19, 05:16 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
Saw this black snake on my July 4th ride. About 4' long. It was crossing the bike/multi use path. I stopped to watch it, and also to make sure no bike path warrior would come flying along and run over it. It's the first live one I've seen in a while (I see plenty of dead ones). They are non venoumous and help keep the rodent population under control, so they are good in my book.

I have always liked snakes, too. I was sad all day when a big black snake--no doubt a close relative of that one--sped out of the tall grass at the side of the road (somewhere between Poplarville and Biloxi, Mississippi) and directly under my front wheel, much faster than I could react. Went right over him and left him in his death throes, the poor fellow.

A short time later I remember passing the "Bad Habitz Wine and Liquor Store." The letters in the sign were rendered to look like they had been assembled from worn and weathered barn boards. I really should have taken a picture of that, but I was too shy.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash