Old 01-28-06, 12:17 PM
amaferanga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for the Tubus then!

I live in Scotland where we too have plenty of rain, but am happier with my Karrimors than my Ortlieb as waterproofness aside, they're just better panniers with better attachments. Take Ortleibs down bumpy roads and those things flap like hell unless you bungee them down (makes the quick attach/detach latches irrelevant as a selling point if you need to unstrap a bungee first). Unfortunately the Ortleib-worshipers must have got to you! Ortleibs have durable attachments, that's about the only good thing they have going for them other than the fact that they're waterproof.

Lotum - the funny thing with some high quality panniers such as Ortlieb though is that their most durable panniers are not the most expensive ones. The Ortleib 'plus' range is more expensive than the standard, but the facts that they (the plus) are fairly thinly laminated on the inside and the material is thinner mean they're not gonna last as long. But they look nicer. My roller plus panniers delaminated after only a few months of use and picked up a tear all too easily. That's not quality in my eyes. As soon as Ortleibs stop being waterproof they are s**t panniers IMHO!