1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by skiron_2500
Hello there!

A crack has developed along the top of the seat post lug of my 1987 ALAN. (When I bought the bike second hand in 2010, the crack was one third of what it is now, stemming from the seat post. Over time, it developed into what you can see here.)

I have accepted that this means the failure of the frame, or else hanging it on the wall (god damn, it's beautiful!). Yes, I know that these frames can't be welded; and yes, I have a steel-framed bike. But I was wondering if I could wrap a hose clamp around this lug, and use the frame for gentle rides, until failure occurred.

However, I could only do this if the failure was slow and safe (e.g. the top tube started to rattle), and not if the failure was to be sudden and violent (e.g. the top tube suddenly separated from the lug, half of the bike lurched forward, and I fell into the front wheel and the road).

So, does anyone have the experience and/or engineering know-how to answer? What would it be -- slow or sudden failure?? Help would be greatly appreciated!!

^Assorted hose clamps--up to the task?
No I don't think hose clamps are remotely up to the task. I use them in my work and know their limitations. Don't expect them to do anything helpful if that joint fails.
Where I think you could find stop-gap gap relief, is with 1/2" single layer woven nylon webbing straps. Bike would look ungainly, and ugly as sin, by the time I felt I had secured it sufficiently, but I think, properly done it would be safe to ride.
Personally, I would only use this as a stop-gap, until I got a replacement frame.
Perhaps more appropriate as an emergency wilderness solution.
Likes For Last ride 76: