Old 07-11-19, 09:36 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
21st-Century version - 2a. Check to make sure you caught the whole thing on your GoPro.

Few years ago, a perfect "stoopid things happen in threes" trilogy. Saturday of Art Fair weekend, 23823432 wandering tourists (give or take) in town.
1) State Street (our "no car" downtown retail street) is torn up for construction but still bustling. Crosswalk for W Johnson St is diverted by 50 feet or so. W Johnson is one-way eastbound with a left-side bike lane (buses use the right side). Wife and I are in the bike lane, bunch of tourists are crossing, AGAINST the signal, and for whatever reason, looking east rather than west as they cross. We slow down, we slow down, we nearly stop, and one young blonde just walks into my front wheel. We both get up and are fine, and I say, as nicely as I can, that the traffic IS coming from the west....
2) 10 minutes later, W Gorham St just off State, car on Gorham stops for more wandering tourists, car behind just plain doesn't notice, rear-ends the first car square on. Low speed, but a LOUD bang, minor but obvious damage to both cars. Lady in the car behind yells "YOUR CAR'S FINE" to the one ahead. Yeah, sure....
3) 20 minutes later, residential street behind the food co-op. We launch from a four-way stop, couple is coming the other way on bikes, five seconds after we pass, LOUD BANG. One of the couple just plowed into the back of the car parked just off the intersection. Square on, not even an attempt to swerve. Amazingly, no damage.

That seemed to mollify the Gods of Three for the day.

Well it ain't danger-ous either....
Nice time capsule for me. I miss Lazy Jane's for breakfast and the Weary Traveler for beer, and hanging out. Maybe I can get back to the middle coast area some time this year!