Old 07-12-19, 08:03 AM
Aletifer

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track, 2017 Fuji Cross 1.5, 2019 Cannondale Quick NEO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rvdjc54 View Post
Hello there. Iím hoping to purchase a new bike. Iím hoping to use it to commute and maybe go up to 15-20 miles with it on the weekend. Iíd be using it on flat roads with very few pot holes. Getting into bikes has been super difficult since thereís so much out there. Can anyone point me in the right direction for brands or even specific single speed bikes to look at? Iím into single speed because of the little maintenance required and I guess another question for people is what is the longest youíve riden with a single speed. Iím pretty much sold on purchasing a single speed and Iím hoping to spend a max. of 475$. Can anyone help a guy out? Any advice welcome.
Hey, I'm new here, too! But what you describe is basically what I've been doing on and off for about 10 years: I've used my singlespeed to commute, and do about 15-20-mile rides on the weekends when I've the time.

I'm not an expert, and feel free to double-check all of this with others, but for what it's worth:
  1. I think $475 is a good price pointóyou can get a solid starter for that.
  2. It's hard to suggest anything in particular because as you ride more (and ride more bikes), you'll build up experiences to compare with various builds and brands, and you'll start to develop your personal preferences. Because you're still building those up, I'd say don't sweat the decision too much. Just try for something decent.
  3. That said, I also vote for the Kilo TT; it's a great starter bike for a lot of folks. It also has a sealed bottom bracket and sealed hubs, which means less maintenance (especially when you get caught in the rain). Also has rack braze-ons and fender eyes, which you might want to consider if you're going to commute.
  4. Sizing/fit: If you can swing it, it really pays to get this done. A lot of folks who try biking but decide it wasn't for them give it up because the experience wasn't comfortable for them. Any shop should be able to help you with this, but a lot of times you do have to schedule an appointment as it's time-consuming, and it can cost $100-$150. If you aren't comfortable making your own adjustments, though, I think this is a very worthwhile service to cough up for.