View Single Post
Old 07-14-19, 06:25 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Demet

My main challenge is I have a really long torso. I'm 6'4" but inseam is 33" or so. So on frames I can stand over I end up feeling like I'm way over the front of the bike. On bigger frames where I feel more entered on the bike, the standover is dangerously uncomfortable lol.

Any advice out there?
Step 1: Focus on top tube length. Lots of sizing tools out there.

Step 2: Measure bicycle inseam, not pant inseam, I bet yours is higher than you think.

Step 3: Standover isn't that important. My road bikes all have zero standover clearance (I have really short inseam and a long torso). To get a long enough top tube, short of getting a frame custom made, you have to give up something. One reason I do MTB drop bar conversions is to get a longish top tube.

That Univega looks like not a good choice for someone with a long torso. Typically, seat tubes are measured center to top. So I bet that bike has a 64cm Seat tube and a 60cm TT (top tubes are center to center). Thats one problem on some vintage bikes. As the seat tube gets longer, the top tube does not increase in length proportionally. It varies.

Go to a sizing site and figure out what top tube length you need.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-14-19 at 06:32 AM.
Likes For wrk101: