Old 07-15-19, 12:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Saddles are where I depart from the classic look, at least if I plan on riding more than 10 miles at a stretch.

The usual Selle Italia Turbo type saddle and my butt don't get along. The only classic style saddle I've tried that seemed immediately comfortable was a newish Selle Anatomica. But those have some reputation for being finicky -- stretching, some with bent rails, although at 150 lbs I'm probably not heavy enough to have either problem.

Unfortunately that means no saddles with skirts that hide the saddle rails. I sorta like the minimalist skeletonized look of newer saddles, but they aren't quite as handsome as a Brooks or other classic leather saddle.

Ditto, the Selle Italia @sd5782 mentioned. I have that same Kit Carbonio. Fits my buttbonios perfectly. It's nearly flat, with a very slight up-flare at the rear, and very lightly padded. But it's been remarkably comfortable on my usual rides of 20-60 miles, even with very lightly padded shorts. My sit bones are very narrow so the 130mm size fits me, although I'll ride a 140mm too on a more upright bike. I did 60 miles Sunday with friends and the only thing aching after the ride was my neck (old and more recent injuries).

I liked it so well I got another Selle Italia, the Q-Bik. Ssame shape but more padded with a small cutout -- not quite as comfy, like it's too much padding. Then a Selle San Marco that's very similarly shaped but with a split rear and more flexible shell. I like the current lineup of Selle Italias so well I'd consider buying one of their pricey SuperFlow saddles... after it's been discontinued and discounted. Selle Italia has a habit of revamping it's lineup very slightly every year or two, then heavily discounting the older models that are nearly identical. So they're a very good value.

Then last week I got a Bontrager Ajna gel with generous perineum relief cutout. Same basic shape as the current Selle Italias, but slightly wider in the rear and very slightly shorter nose. Bontrager markets it as a woman's saddle, but it's been comfortable for me on my Univega hybrid with swept bars. I might try it on one of my road bikes.