Thread: 1972 Gitane???
View Single Post
Old 07-15-19, 02:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 1,138 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61 View Post
c.1974-75 with Reynolds 531 main triangle, most likely an Interclub because the headset looks like something less expensive than the Stronglight P3 that came on the Tour de France. Chas. Colerich will know more when he chimes in. That looks like a 58 or 60 cm measured to top, so it will probably have a lovely ride quality to it - every Gitane in that size I've ever been on has a certain something that is just right. It's closer to the European market specification than the Mel Pinto-imported TdF and Super Corsas c.1969-73. You have the headset and the bottom bracket, in all likelihood a Nitto stem will fit the steerer with no modication, AND you get the threaded Huret dropouts designed to take ANYBODY's rear derailleur. Were it mine, I would clean it, wax it and build it up with good mid-level or better parts and ride it often. This would be an excellent introduction to French bikes in general and Gitanes in particular.
+1 Agreed

The cool factor is way up there with these, they punch well above their station.
Likes For merziac: