genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's an article without point, unless viewed as an editorial on history. SoCal is the home of urban sprawl-- everything is miles away-- and while that may indeed be due to the actions of persons and institutions pushing for the automobile... so what? It happened 70+ years ago. Regardless of who's responsible, I live 7 miles from my favorite Chinese food place, and my wife's office is 28 miles away. There are no other options because here, there have never been any options.

And I've absolutely no desire whatsoever to live where a car isn't necessary-- I've spent my entire life in some kind of suburban environment, and could not stand living in a "proper city." As such, I guess I don't demonize cars. I love cycling-- but sometimes I need to bring home a dishwasher or 60 linear feet of cedar fencing. Or just pick up Chinese food in a reasonable amount of time.
You are entirely missing the point.

The article isn't about living car free... it is about laws unfairly encouraging driving over over cycling.

The article is about "enabing cycling," by not eliminating the choice, by design, of the use of bicycles in a community, or by the use of prohibitive laws.

Last edited by genec; 07-16-19 at 06:50 AM.