canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Just finished up our hometown triathlon. My swim and everyone's was a bit slower due to the one of four portions being against a strong current. Oh well it was the same for every one alike. I'm not a strong swimmer. On the bike I let my Carbon Ironman down. The first half I went out entirely too fast and got it under control on the second half. I thought I would average higher by 2 mph but could only muster 20.4 mph on the short 20k. Well at least I felt good. On the run it took half of the 3.5 mile route to finally match my breathing rate with my running pace. You know where you're working hard but going nowhere.
I know from experience that as I do more triathlons during the season I just get progressively Faster. The problem is I only have one more scheduled and it's in late October. I used to do 2-3 a month during the season bitd. But you know how it is Life gets in the way.....wait did I say wife or life?
No matter I still placed first in the fogey 55-59. Although I'm dissatisfied with my cycling performance I did pass a mess of Carbon and one steel bike (mostly because of my swim seeding). Only two carbons passed me on the bike leg. They were moving and completely Carboned Out. I've got to do some interval work ala Doc or become a big gear masher like RT (as evidenced by breaking carbon, and sweating cable eyelets off), or maybe become smarter like Mr. Westi and just have another shot.
Meanwhile my Vintage Carbon Ironman had settled it's ticking issue. I can only guess it was the under used spokes settling back in.
My wife took a pic so I could put on here but I don't even like wearing the finishers medal much less a place medal. Btw , back in the day it was trophies, I miss that. However I did notice the first master and grandmaster (not sure what age that is) got a type of trophy. I told my wife that i want That, and she looked at my belly and said are you sure? I know I can be a better athlete, and I'm gonna set my goals and try to do that and I'm Gonna Do It.....but do I really have to diet? I currently eat like I m doing Twice the distance training I actually am. Let's keep those freewheels turning Irongents but now at warp speed.
Well done. Checking Strava, I'm not sure I've ever sustained 20+ mph for more than 5 miles even on relatively flat terrain here -- which we don't have much of. If I can crack 20 mph on some stretches of my two favorite training routes I might be ready to tackle a time trial again.

On the plus side, my climbing is getting better. I'm not any stronger, but losing 10-15 lbs since last year helped.