View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 09:42 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
My contribution to the gallery of mis-brazed Raleighs is this rear brake cable stop bridge that is a long way from parallel. But considering that the cable would feed from the lower right side of the top tube, maybe it was supposed to be a feature?

My take is that 1973 is the worst year for brazing issues on Raleighs, and Capella-lugged bikes are over-represented in the workmanship failures mode. It seems to me that there are an abnormal number of poorly-brazed seat stay caps, and the '73 Competition above is not the only one I've seen where the front spire of the lower head lug protrudes up past its brass to stand proud - and they even did the gold paint so that it tucks in under the bit that isn't brazed. Like this -

I bet if you compared '73 Capella-lugged Raleigh Competitions to both the ones with Nervex Professional lugs, the latter would uniformly be better built.