Old 07-18-19, 08:58 PM
JDandy

Bikes: Gary Fisher Avant Garde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JodyBikes View Post
The Akron detour is no longer in effect and flooding has cleared in Canal Fulton.

To ask about current conditions before your trip, join the peer to peer Facebook group called "Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail / Ohio To Erie Trail Enthusiasts".

A bit of advice, make sure you have several options for navigation besides using signage.
People trying to use only signage have many moments of indecision, that's when it's good to consult the paper guide, the digital interactive map or even Google bicycling directions. In the metropolitan areas with multiple trail intersections, people get confused thinking every "bike route" sign is for the Ohio to Erie Trail, be prepared.
The Akron detour is most definitely in effect. I trekked up the Hickory Street hill today. I think what JodyBikes is referring to is the detour of the detour. For a short while part of the Hickory Street detour was blocked and so you had an additional detour. Bikes and pedestrians can now get through on Hickory street but not cars.

I wouldn't be surprised if the street becomes blocked again as construction is ongoing in the area.

There is a big rough rock path leading you off of (or on to) the towpath to/from Hickory Street. The hill is a pretty tough climb if you have been riding for awhile and are heading south into Akron.

By the way, I'm hoping to ride the entire OTET next summer.

Last edited by JDandy; 07-20-19 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling