View Single Post
Old 07-19-19, 03:45 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3395 Post(s)
Liked 2,145 Times in 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
... however as I have experienced and thousands of others with the old Raleigh's have experienced, sometimes it simply does not have a negative impact on the performance or life of the frame.
I had my '73 Competition stripped and inspected because I saw a big gap under the DT shifter stop and wondered what other braze might be missing. The framebuilder who inspected it called me to say there was little braze under the lugs and that a couple of tubes had cracked due to poor support. He flowed in from-scratch amounts of braze into most of the lugs. He also noted that the frame alignment was perfect. Maybe never saw the heat that would throw it off? My 'joke' is that the brazer tacked up the frame Friday morning, then took a long lunch. Went straight home after too many beers. Monday morning, frame went to paint. Painter saw all the gaps and used all of his skills to fill them with paint. My builder said that was what held the bike together.

I wasn't at all sure I trusted that frame to handle the washboard at the bottoms of gravel descents and didn't want it breaking under me. BTDT.

Ben