Old 07-19-19, 06:57 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
A few thoughts:

4) Future setup: for most of our riding, other than in the mountains, we'll set the bike back up with rim brakes and Zipp 404's. The bike weighs 24lbs, and I don't want to add several pounds with discs front and back. For the occasional ride with big descents, I'll put the TRP disc on the back, and an older Zipp 808, with an aluminum brake track on the front.
I'm not sure an 808 with an aluminum braking surface is going to be a lot better, as opposed to just opening up a slightly different failure mode. You are still going to be dumping an enormous amount of heat into an aluminum/carbon fiber bonded interface with no particular place for it to go. I guess you won't have the extra force of the tire pressure on the carbon hook bead hold the rim on, which is good, but you are more likely to blow the tire off the rim as the tire/rim interface heats up more because the aluminum transmit the heat better than the pure carbon clincher. And I would think the carbon section of an 808 is going to insulate the aluminum a fair amount compared to a pure aluminum rim that is exposed to the air for cooling. I think I'd be using the rear brake a lot. Or would pay a couple hundred gram weight penalty for a deeper aluminum rim that will shed the heat better.