View Single Post
Old 07-19-19, 07:14 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I have no power meter, So I don't know what my most efficient cadence is. But when I am pedaling in what I perceive as the most effective gear, One that feels natural, I jump up one gear. My cadence might slow 10 rpm. This seems unnatural and feels like I'm going slower so the tendency is to apply more power. When I back my effort off to a comfortable level, I glanced at my speedometer and find I'm actually going faster with less effort in what I once perceived as being too high a gear.

On the other end of the cadence range, I once thought 90+ rpm was way faster then I would ever peddle. My normal recreational cadence is likely in the 60 - 75 rpm range. Yet on some occasions when I'm feeling athletic, I found I was at a 93 rpm cadence for a few minutes with no ill effects.

So I wouldn't suggest committing to a fixed number for cadence until you experiment a while. And even then, Be open minded. Racing is when it is important to get the best balance we can between a high enough cadence so our legs don't give out before the end of the race, Yet low enough to not run out of cardio too soon. IMO it is best to over spin slightly then to mash and overload our leg muscles. Our cardio will recover quicker. Wear you legs out too soon and you might as well call it a day.