View Single Post
Old 07-22-19, 11:34 AM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
Here is a 1986 Fuji Sundance I found in the back room at the Bike Exchange as a frame/ fork. It was the first year that Fuji made mountain bikes and I think it's a classic.

I did my usual clean and clear coat of the frame. The paint was very good for a 33 year old bike with few scratches and very little fading.

Rubbing out the paint with white polishing compound does wonders for the finish, removing ground in dirt and lots of scratches and other marks.

I kept the 3 x 6 gearing of the original. I found a set of bull moose bars in the bin and some 1.75 x 26 tires to further stay with the original specs. The cranks are Sugino SA with steel chain rings and should be bomb proof. The freewheel is a Shimano hyperglide and I used old Shimano thumbies as I couldn't get any Suntour thumb shifters. It has the original front derailleur and a Mountain LX rear.

Altogether a pretty sweet ride. It should sell quickly at the shop.
Wow, awesome find and a total classic-- I so wish this was in my garage!! '86 may have been the last year for the sweet seat tube decal as well, but I'm not sure.