View Single Post
Old 07-28-19, 10:09 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I WAS doing really well with my weight....then due to my disease Sarcoidosis moving into my bone (still better than the bone cancer or lung cancer they thought it might be) I had to go on Prednisone for a year and a half. Not only did I put on close to 50 lbs it moved my fat from my legs and hips to my stomach area. Its been almost a year I think since I weaned off it (still on Methotrexate for 1 more month) It did do what it was supposed to and put me into remission. But it is so hard to drop the pounds now when the hormones are all out of whack (side effect of pred supposed to start straightening up at the 1 year point) But I keep plugging at it.

I swim on most days I don't bike, now lap swimming is a serous way to use calories. 45 min was about 1200 cal. But the pred came with a price too, the joints are worse, and I had to take 3 weeks off in Dec to have a small skin cancer heal from my face-it did hardly a scar. But in 3 freaking weeks my shoulder went from doing laps to nope, nada, oh crap I can't put my arm up. It took 3 months to be diagnosed with a frozen shoulder, in which I was scared to move my shoulder since it felt like I was ripping stuff in it.
I still was in the pool and on the bike but careful and jogging in the water not laps. After a couple of months of PT I just started doing laps again, it is painful. But after a few laps the shoulder loosens up and it get easier. I can do about 20 30 minutes, but its nothing like I used to, and I have to mix it up a lot as the weak muscles get sore. But I will get there.
I do have to say the running helped my biking a lot. And I have seen a reduction in size a bit... very little. But I will keep on plugging away. But as we all know we walk a fine line of over use and under use... especially with my joints. I will make certain of one thing, my shoulder joints will be used daily as I never want to freeze up again!
Getting older sucks!! But the exercise makes it worth it, I swear it is an addiction. Gotta keep moving, to stop is to freeze up....
Likes For Marci: