Old 08-01-19, 07:08 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
At this point, I would agree that the red Tommasini has not been repainted. The rear triangle is not completely painted. If you look at the inside of the drive side chain stay you will see a long oval chrome section with a yellow border line on the inside of the chain stay (first 2 pictures below). The outer portion of the tube is painted. This was a defining characteristic of many of the Tommasini Racing models the company produced. This model is more accurately known as Strada. I have also seen the chrome treatment of the head tube on several of these older Strada models, This model preceded the Prestige bikes and for me is equally appealing for quality and style, particularly the beautiful fork crowns on these mid to late 70s and early 80s models. Both of the frames that this seller is offering have paint on the inside of the seat tube and I am not sure what to make of it. The seller has done extensive cosmetic work on the 52 cm Tommasini anniversary bike he is selling for $900 as it recently sold on eBay and the listing is still accessible through advanced search of completed or sold items. The frame sold for less than $650 (best offer accepted) and had a lot of wear showing, some of it fairly nasty (see the lug area in the picture below), and it is all cleaned up now. Perhaps the seller was trying out touch up paint and used the seat tube as a test area. All I know is every bike or frame that I have owned or considered buying has had a completely clean seat tube inside. To my way of thinking, paint on the inside of a seat tube is far and away the exception, not the rule, and I usually steer clear.

Originally Posted by m_sasso
I would also put money on the top tube not being 54cm as stated, the front of that frame is long.
m_sasso, I am curious about this statement. Tommasini rarely had long top tubes. His bikes were primarily racing geometry and compact. What are you seeing that convinces you that the front of the frame is long. 54 or 54.5 would have been a standard length for this frame.