View Single Post
Old 08-01-19, 09:41 PM
Kentonk

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Yeah quite likely a PX 10 given the chrome on the rear triangle and fork. Plus what's left of the 531 sticker looks like the full Reynolds 531 sticker.

There have been some sensible mods made to the bike. (1) The wheels are clinchers, not tubulars. (2) The crank looks to be a stronglight 99 not a 93. That will be helpful as chainrings are more readily available and you can get smaller chainrings with a 99. (3) The rear drop out has been modded which is why there is a cyclone rear derailleur. That was about as good a rear derailleur as you could get at that time. Hey you're not stuck looking for a simplex rear derailleur. They're good but the stock of them is disappearing over time.

Two problems you want to think about. First, that kickstand and rack need to be taken off the bike. The rack is kind of OK but the kickstand is a bad idea. Hopefully the chain stays aren't damaged. (2) The bike has an atax stem (which is a later French stem) and a Japanese handlebar. Hopefully that Japanese handlebar measures 25.0 and not 25.4. If the latter, that's a bad combination since that French stem is designed for a 25.0 handlebar.
Thanks for the very good info. I cringed a bit when I saw the kickstand. Alas, college commuter bikes. The original front derailleur looks busted too. Maybe I'll make the nicest single speed, or one-by. haha It's a gift, so I'm not complaining.

KK

I always