View Single Post
Old 08-02-19, 01:45 PM
Hang 5 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
So I was in the Boston area with my bike. I'm from that area originally and it's where I used to race. Rode in the Wells Avenue crit. It's a training race on Sunday mornings that has been running since the early '80's. They have a "B" field that is Cat 4/5 and I rode in that. Got dropped after 20 min and jumped back in after getting lapped. It's a dead flat course with pretty gradual curves. Could hang on a wheel no problem, but didn't always pick the best wheel nor stay far enough forward in the pack. The first turn after the start/finish is a easy sweeping and wide corner, but the back of the field would be braking which meant going hard to stay connected coming out, and that's where I got dropped. Speeds were quick and the pack tended to be narrow near the front, so it was hard to find a good spot to be far enough forward to be fast through turn 1. Think with a bit more HIIT under my belt, I could be in the mix. I'm pretty sure at 62 I was the oldest guy there by at least 10 years and well above the average.

All good fun, but not much like that in my area in Atlanta that I can find, except for group rides. The other depressing thing is that USA Cycling can't find any record of my old license, so it looks like I'm doomed to have to ride in a bunch of cat 5 races before being able to ride in the masters groups. Given that the year is half over, I'll likely hold off til 2020 to get a full license and see how things go.