View Single Post
Old 08-02-19, 10:45 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have several decades of experience riding and maintaining, but none building as such, and my oldest bike is a youngin '97. I do like your question, and have two related responses -FWIW: one build experience and one hybrid-build idea-only. First, I have a full-suspension MTB custom build, because I couldn't find a ready-built/retail carbon 26" MTB bike in 2013 and 14, and I wanted full Fox suspension, AND the Grip-Shifting that is on my '97 RockHopper, and which Sram had bought up in the interim, among other nice things. So, I do now have a rare-if-not-unique 25-lb build consisting of a 2013 carbon BMC frame with the nice parts I wanted attached. I think the only thing I was not able to get was a remote lockout on the fork I liked.

The idea may be even stranger. My Trek Domane is the best-FITTING and riding bike I have, and have ever had. Alas, it is not as flexible as my other bikes. I have thought of either getting a Domane frame somewhere and having a hybrid built, OR taking my Domane, and among other things, changing over to flat bars, fitting bigger tires, replacing my Speedplays, etc,, etc.

So, there you are, and I'll enjoy reading your thread.