Old 08-06-19, 03:29 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Surly Disk Trucker, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Tandem Touring the Spanish and French Rivieras (photo heavy)

Day 1. We landed at the Barcelona Airport. Our bicycle baggage made it so we wheeled it to a quieter corner near the bathrooms and started assembling the bicycle. Everything went well, without a hitch. We added our panniers, rolled the bike out of the airport and hopped on. Bam. Chain fell off. Put the chain on and a few strokes later, bam, lost the chain again. I utilized the eccentric bracket to tighten the chain more and we were of without the problem but something felt awry. I wasn’t sure if I was just imagined it. About a mile from the airport we saw a bike store. The owner was very helpful and after checking a few things he noticed that the rear crankwheel was bent. Probably during the flight. He said he did not have a replacement but suggested he could try straightening it (with a crowbar). He said it would weaken the part but it might be worth doing. I agreed. It seems to have worked. We hopped on and everything felt much better from then on. We crossed a river and took a turn towards the Barcelona commercial port. There we weaved in and out legal and private roads until we hit the beginning of the Barcelona boulevard path. This was, most of the time, a dedicated bike/pedestrian path that lead us all the way to the downtown beaches and beyond for 24 miles until we reached Camping El Masnou, the closest campground on our route. We arrived around 7pm, luckily got a spot in this busy place, pitched our tent, showered and fell asleep.

Day 2. We headed first thing in the morning on the main road. The traffic was light on cars and relatively busy with bicyclist. Tons of bikers on the road cheering each other on. We cycled it until we hit the beaches where we cycled closer to the water. At some point we got into a dead end when we hit a river that had a bridge further up the road. Then we entered a nice Spanish coast town of Blanes where we both took a siesta nap and then continued out and towards the town of Vidreres and then back towards the ocean to a gorgeous touristy town of Platja d’Aro. A few more miles further was a nice beach campground Camping Treumal. We checked in, pitched our tent, took showers, took a walk on the beach and sat at a beach cabana restaurant for drink, a gazpacho soup and a salad.