View Single Post
Old 08-07-19, 08:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My second day riding a fully-loaded touring bike was the first day of my first tour. Seattle to Bar Harbor, ME via ACA's Northern Tier route...then on to Ocean City, NJ. Rode back home to Philly from Ocean City without my gear.

Didn't have to adjust to "normal" life after that since I decided during the trip that I wasn't going to look for a job and would instead take another tour. Ended up in Andalucía for 7 weeks the following winter/spring.

Came home and rested for three days then went back to Seattle and rode to Cortez, CO to stay with some friends and others who were interning at Mesa Verde N.P
I posted about our cross-country tour.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The trip was back in May to June of 1977 on our honeymoon as we were moving from Michigan to Boston and managed a two-month hiatus from work.

Our original plan was to go from LA to Boston with an eight week deadline, but around Colorado we decided we weren't traveling fast enough, so veered towards Washington to take the train up to Boston.

We navigated with an AAA USA Road map showing us the general direction, and then we used state Highway maps for day-to-day routes. It became a standing joke that at every rest stop, at every meal, and settling in at night we brought in a map to plot the next few miles.

The general route was starting in Laguna Beach …old Rte 66, to the Grand Canyon; then on to Four Corners, Mesa Verde, CO; crossed the Continental Divide at Wolf Creek pass; then through La Veta pass on into Kansas…
I remember well stopping for lunch in Cortez after the Four Corners, and the obligatory pictures standing in four states. At that time. as I recall, all-you-can-eat salad bars were a rarity, and we partook mightily of the one there.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-07-19 at 08:36 AM.