Old 08-08-19, 02:54 PM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I have two sets of Mavic Allroad Pro wheels, which I realize may sound a bit excessive but I wanted to be able to swap road and offload wheel sets quickly and figured having the exact same wheels would help ensure disc rotor alignment.

Anyway, one set came with the 40mm Yksion XL tires and the other with the 35mm Yksion all road tires. I kept the 40mm tires on for my offroad wheels, and I have to say, I really, really like them. The UST system is great, and the tires held air with no sealant (which I later added). The tires are beefy at 40mm and perhaps inflate to even wider on these wide rims, and the tread is great for the kinds of dirt I tend to hit (dry with loose gravel). And yet when pumped up pretty good they're still fast and don't feel like they have a lot of rolling resistance.

The 35mm tires I actually put aside in favor of something that is more truly a road slick for greater contrast with the 40s. On that road wheel set I ended up with a pair of 32mm Hutchinson Sector tires, and they have convinced me that I will never go back to 23 or 25 for the road.

I'm currently revamping my Surly LHT town bike and am going to run the 35mm Yksion all road tires on that bike, so I should be able to report back about them soon. But they look like a really nice versatile option, with a slick center line for speed and some light tread for cornering. And assuming the UST system works just as well with them as it does with my 40s, I'm expecting a trouble-free setup and flat-free use.