Old 08-12-19, 02:09 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I thought about this off and on all day...something doesn't seem correct about this or like sound advice that someone might stumble upon this and think this is a sure fire remedy, and I don't think it such a good idea. I don't think that I would do that to mine.

But what I did want to point out is that a LBS a while ago showed me this trick and said it's the best way to get contaminated pads clean. He makes money off this all the time for this little simple trick.

He had one of these: https://www.amazon.com/3M-99436-Dryw...i&sr=1-1-fkmr0

I think if I remember, he had something DIY'd so that the ends were wrapped, locked in place, and elevated as if it was hung like a hammock. Then he would just simply take the brake brads and rub them on top of it with the pads being face down. He claims it works like a charm and solves most of the squeaky brakes problems. However, I don't see how this would apply to changed pads or new rotors unless you are cross contaminating in some way. My brakes are squeaking on the rear, changed pads, always clean rotors with rubbing alcohol, lines have been blead multiple times, but still squeaks. The only thing constant has been the rotors have never been changed and have a lot of miles on them. If that has somehow been contaminated, I guess when I put the new pads on each time, I am cross contaminating again, although I clean them with alcohol, and it's metal, so I am not sure the logic there.

I am putting this up in the event other's don't know about this trick. I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon. But I might need to change my rotors too.