Old 08-13-19, 12:12 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 73 Posts
Sample images. Yes sir! Immediately sir!

In Belgium it was not uncommon to use silver paint instead of chrome. For cost reasons, I presume. Definitely in the case of this Flandria-built Jan Janssen Prestige. Flandria was the first to supply former world champion and TdF winner Jan Janssen with bikes to brand for his new bike business in the seventies after ending his cycling career. For obvious reasons: Flandria had been Janssen's sponsor and the bikes were quite affordable. However, the bikes did not meet the expected quality levels, and Janssen ended the contract with Flandria rather quickly. It's easy to see why:

Not much "prestige" here ....

Silver paint was also often used by sellers of second-hand bikes in Belgium to "jazz up the chrome" a bit. Not very successfully, mind you:

However - and this is where it gets interesting - some efforts were quite successful. IMO at least. I bought this Toortelboom frame a while back, and only when I got home I discovered that the "socks" were painted and not chromed. While that may also be an indication of my perceptive abilities, I was quite impressed. And still am.

My take on this is that, if it is done well, it is definitely an improvement. FWIW.