View Single Post
Old 08-14-19, 12:37 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
I have to agree with downhillmaster. I find the experiment odd. It’s potentially dangerous to ride 90 minutes in hot humid conditions without hydrating. Personally I’d drink 40-60 oz of water combined with electrolyte in such a ride.

In general there’s no reason for you to worry. Always carry plenty of liquid or refill as needed. Remember that on a ride don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink.
Regarding the potentially dangerous part, after you have done this a hundred or more times without a problem, you tend to reduce your worry level a good bit :-) I have never bothered with hydration on rides up to about 100 minutes.

Regarding the 'no reason to worry' comment, there is no reason to worry IF your water absorption rate is somewhere in the vicinity of your sweat rate. Otherwise it at least should not be ignored. And 90 ounces of water per hour is a lot to absorb (which is not the same as swallow).

dave