Old 08-14-19, 03:26 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
There's two guys that I know of that are doing the super big flange blingie hubs - Curtis Odom, who typically starts with a big block of aluminum and turns them down, and Amir Avitzur, who does the rivet thing. These are obviously riveted, so they're from Amir. I bought them second hand from eBay.
neat!
I'm familiar with Amir from the CR list, but didn't realize he was making these. The CR list (and probably BF) is full of guys who do amazing work but keep a low profile.

Originally Posted by gugie
The hubs are on my Pimp Eroica Gran(d) Sport(s) bike. I built this up out of a frame that I had repainted (well, powder coated), then had fun with it. English frame, mostly period correct french bits. Drillium chainrings and brake levers, gold colored brakes, gold colored freewheel...I feel like I should be wearing a big gold chain around my neck when I ride it. Here's my Flickr album of the build. I've riden it on the last two Eroica's and will come with me to Cino this year.
That is some serious pimping of a humble Grand Sport!
The drilled hubs, chain rings, and brake levers do tie the parts together, though. Very cool!

The discussion of riveted flanges reminds me that I did see some at the 2015 NAHBS. there was a bike at the Speedhound booth with this style of hub.
Again, it was a show bike, so the flanges were blue and brass washers were used under the spoke heads.
The flanges weren't outrageously large or perforated with dozens of holes. For a show bike, it was only moderately over the top.
No idea who made the hubs... might have been the frame builder, I suppose.

Steve in Peoria