View Single Post
Old 08-15-19, 11:33 AM
Last ride 76 

Location: Just moved...1 km S. Now above the "Bike Path" ( River Road, Piermont, NY)

Bikes: Old Bikes: '74 Ron Cooper, Crashed and repaired '76, restored 2015!!! need restoration '74 Witcomb track bike (bought in '75) '75 Carlsbad Masi, bought in '76 New bikes: 84-85 Gios torino "Professional" '76 Olmo Competition C Titiano

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl View Post
Hey man, nice shot. I guess all the years I spent making custom knives for a living taught me nothing.
I do not question your knowledge regarding the care of knives, or of steel blades or even steel in general. I know very little about it, other than it rusts, unfortunately.
However...

I think often the actual conditions custom steel knives and bicycle frames are commonly subjected to, are sufficiently different, that the maintenance requirements are also different. I also do not want to have to regularly spend extra time having to care for the steel frame of my bicycle.

The subject of bare steel bike frames has come up before . The concept is not exactly new. A fair number of C&V folks (besides me) appreciate the look, for a variety of reasons. If you had checked the earlier threads on the subject, it would perhaps show how your experiences with custom knives might apply to bicycle frames, and then would be of benefit to BF at large.

PS I really loved the look of my bare steel bikes, and have not entirely given up on the idea.
Best regards, Eric