Old 08-15-19, 01:40 PM
RamAlaRag 

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose - Di2 Alfine, 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1984? Miyata TerraRunner, 1986? Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1 View Post
The Ring Road goes by tunnel under some fjords, some (most?) prohibited to cyclists. Iceland bike maps indicate which. The old road which you will be required to use will go up to the head of the fjord and back down the far side. It will usually be gravel except that road along the long peninsula in the far west, connected to Reykjavik by a long tunnel shortcut, appeared to be paved. This peninsula actually lies off the Ring Road but it suggests itself as a short bike tour, a less ambitious alternative to attempting to ride around the island. The total absence of trees -- Iceland was deforested by the Vikings for pasturing and for charcoal to make bog iron --. frequent rain, and near-constant wind and overcast would make touring in Iceland psychologically challenging. Iceland has become very busy with mass tourism in the last few years, Game of Thrones fans they tell me. Traffic is heavy on the Ring Road near Reykjavik and on the (paved) roads (e.g., the Golden Circle) leading to the waterfalls, geysers, and glaciers reachable by day trip from Reykjavik, a lot of it tour buses trying to keep a schedule despite pokey tourist rental cars & campers. Prices for everything were very high in 2016 -- the time to have visited would have been right after the property markets collapsed in 2008 when the kronor got kicked in the slats. The landscapes are amazing, though, certainly worth the stopover from Europe on Icelandic Air. We didn't even unpack our bikes.
Like I said earlier in my post, there are several things bringing me to Iceland, both in my studies and outside of my studies - from a personal interest. I have cycled in challenging areas (i.e Alaskan arctic circle), though not 'toured.' I look forward to the challenge, landscape, and unique characteristics of the region. Tourists are everywhere and can be unpleasant, but that's the trade off for using any public infrastructure system in any unique or beautiful region accessible by most means of transportation.

Overall, it should be a good experience worth having, but negatives should be considered in any trip.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers,
G