View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 06:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
At ~2lbs each, plus slime, and thick, stiff sidewalls? May as well just go back to solid rubber tires again! I’m glad someone reinvented the wheel!

I kid, of course. I know these work for some people. I just can’t imagine how that must ride with probably 3.5lbs of stiff rubber/tube/slime wrapped around each wheel. 7lbs of tire set-up? Eek!

Go tubeless!
There probably are settings where a setup that stiff and heavy makes sense, but yeah I shudder to think about it. For me it is as much the super stiff noncompliant ride of a super stiff sidewall with a heavy tire and tube, but also the weight. Industrial settings and really extreme commuting settings come to mind, but I for one would never tour on something like that again.

I love a lively compliant sidewall and light wheels and tires, at least to the extent possible for the conditions. They make riding a joy.

If someone else can find joy on a super stiff tire and heavy wheels and tires more power to them, but it would suck too much of the joy out of riding for me. I tried going that stiff heavy route once (Marathon Plus 700x32) and hated it. I took them off and sold them.