View Single Post
Old 08-19-19, 06:58 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I'm sure someone will come up with a pic that proves me wrong, but every time I've seen a joint fail it's been the tube that cracks/breaks, not the lug or BB shell. It makes sense, as the tubing is much thinner than the shell or lug.
You called it

This is from my thread about my commuter Holdsworth/Claud Butler. The bronze braze filler didn't penetrate all the way through under the lug, so the lug cracked due to fatigue. While economics/pricing suggest that a Guerch' shouldn't suffer from this sort of bad workmanship, you never know.

In addition, if it is a crack in the lug due to bad brazing, the tubes beneath should not be cracked. This means that you wouldn't be able to tell by looking inside the bottom bracket.

If you are going to strip and repaint it anyway, why not file/chip away the paint there to investigate?
Likes For scarlson: