View Single Post
Old 08-21-19, 06:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
nice to see some calm responses from other Americans regarding the realities of a firearm. As a Canadian this is a completely foreign topic and frankly one I would never have even thought of.
I suspect most tourists here in the US don't think of it either. I know that I never have even though I have a concealed carry permit and could legally do so. the only reason the topic ocurres to me is because others bring it up.

Personally doing a long trip like this on my own would get rather lonely, and while I have done trips on my own, I have often met and traveled along with other tourers, but on such a spread out trip, maybe the chances are less--although for sure following the established route by that american cycling association, and starting roughly the time most people do, the chances are a lot more of meeting folks.
Yes, since there is one route that is kind of iconic (Trans America) and a one other major route (NT) with some variations to both it helps a lot. Obviously there is the possibility to do your own route, but as I said the Trans America is kind of iconic. Add to that there is a fairly limited range of optimum times of year to do them in either direction. That makes for a pleasant number of companions on the road. Few enough that you still can feel plenty of solitude, but enough that you can meet others to talk to, ride with, or camp with if you choose to.

It is helpful to choose a popular start time for your direction of travel if you want company. There still won't be as many companions as say on the Pacific Coast in season, but enough that you have options.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
That is why I suggested you give her a can of bear spray.
If you must carry something, that has a big advantage in accessibility. It is easier/legal to keep in plain sight at least in most places, but check laws as they may vary.

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-21-19 at 06:24 AM.