spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Wynnewood View Post
Husband and I are booked on Amtrak mid-week mid September Cumberland to Pittsburgh. We've got room booked at Holiday Inn Express south side. Any thoughts on our safety riding over there after midnight? Anyone know a shuttle service willing to go such a short distance?
My personal opion is that you should try to get a hotel closer to the train station. For one you are going to be getting in so late and it is going to take a little less than an hour to get to your hotel. But also I do not advise taking the trail at night. Especially right near downtown.

I do not recommend riding the bike trail near the city at night. What I would do is to take 2nd Ave to the Hot Metal Bridge. There are also "affordable" hotels there next to the bike trail that would be my second chose after something right in the city. There is also a hostel on the southside somewhere but I do not know the location. And there is a new hotel on the same side of the river as downtown. Right near the Hot Metal Bridge called Hotel Indigo that might be affordable since it is in a business district but that is just my guess.

If you insist on staying in Homestead, from the southside to the hotel, you should be OK as far as safety. The waterfront area where the hotel is located is fairly safe but DO NOT venture into the heart of Homestead itself. It is one of the higher crime rate areas in the city.

Again I advise getting a place close to the station. In addition to getting to bed at a reasonable time, it might give you a chance to explore the city a bit in the morning. There are our inclines, the point and Bicycle Heaven (the largest bicycle museum in the world). all well worth the extra $100 or so you might save on a hotel in Homstead.