Old 08-21-19, 11:44 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2408 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
My measurement system is I mount the brakes and levers I want to use and then try them.

By riding.

If they stop to my satisfaction then the measurements are good, if not, they are bad.

Haven't made any mistakes yet...
+1 (And the hoods and levers are good places for my hands out of the saddle.)

The best setups I have ever ridden are Tektro V-brake levers and Shimano dual-pivot brakes and the same levers with old Shimano cantis (the ones with Mafac geometry). I love V-brake levers for their huge hoods. I also view too much braking power as bad. I see (and have experienced) far more crashes from skidding and loss of control from too much brake than from hitting things because I simple could not stop in time.

I do not do much of my braking from the hoods as I was taught by the veterans in our club that we were to always be on the drops where there might be surprises; potholes, contact with other riders, situations that might require hard braking, etc. That the drops were, quite simply, the safest place to be, safety being very closely tied in to fewer crashes and less lost training time. And this was when every race bike came with seat belts that you were required to use. 1985, the seatbelt law was repealed. - Non-aero brake cables, sticking up from the brake hoods. They kept your hands on the hoods when you hit the pothole you didn't see. No one talked about them and we all rejoiced when aero brake levers came along and we could finally use that coveted palms over the hoods we had dreamed of for years, but ... we all jammed our thumb crotches hard against that damn cable at least once and every one of those jams was a crash that didn't happen.

My V-brake lever/powerful caliper setup won't give me enough braking power from the hoods for steep descents and wet weather. But it is all there from the drops. (Wet downhills do require real hand strength and riding the miles of gravel descent at the Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder, I had to stop and rest my hands I also had to refocus my brain so it may well have been for the good.)

Ben