View Single Post
Old 08-21-19, 12:19 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Wheel truing without a truing stand.

I do realize this has probably been asked before. But I did do a search and looked through several pages and didn't see anything.

I did just watch the shorter Park Tool video and plan to watch the longer one that is 22 minutes.

My issue is that money is really tight and can't really afford a stand. Although I don't really know how much they are. I've heard some say it can be done with a pencil and rubber bands around some kind of makeshift mechanism.

Any tips on how to true a wheel on a shoestring budget, I would really appreciate it. I guess I should google that subject and see what comes up. But if you guys know of a good video that might show a good technique, I'd appreciate the help.

I started riding again this year but it's mainly just leisurely jaunts with the family. But all my bikes could stand to be trued. But the first bike I started riding this year had a bit of side to side wobble but it got a lot worse after a few months of riding. Is that typical? It's not a high dollar bike. Just a Schwinn Del Mar about 9-10 years old. But when I looked at it last night I was surprised to see how much it degraded. I tried to true it when I first started riding it early in the year but I'm not sure I did any help. Plus I was using a needle nose pliers and I will buy a proper tool for it when attempting to true it this time.

I would like to figure out myself but I guess if I can't I'll take it to the shop. But I'd rather not be without a bike. My whole family just started riding again and would like to not stop for now. It's still rideable but I can feel the wobble in the rear rim and it's starting to annoy me. LOL.

Thank you for your help and patience with a newbie. I'm sorry if it's been asked a bunch before.