Old 08-22-19, 01:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by weiwentg
To some extent, it's not a matter of playing with the newbie. Often, when we're newer to the sport, we don't know what to ask. So, some people try to read between the lines to determine what someone's asking. Or some people go off on tangents.

Summing up, some people do slide forward on their saddles to get more power in shorter efforts, especially in road races. If this is the extent of the question, then yes, road saddles vary in length. As already stated, the Fizik Arione is one potential recommendation for people in aggressive riding positions. I think I've heard this saddle is designed for people who vary their position a lot, e.g. sliding forward, sliding back, etc. I've heard a couple bike store managers say that the Arione is mainly popular among racers, however. My position used to be more aggressive, but since I've moved to a slightly more upright position, I found that the Arione isn't playing well with me. I changed to an Antares.

If you feel you need to frequently slide forward on the saddle, then it's possible your position is too far back. If you're new to riding, you should consider this. When I was new to riding, I found myself doing this a lot, and it turned out that I did need my saddle positioned further forward.
If you are sliding around trying to find your best 'power spot' you are most certainly not able to move the pedals as well as you should. Adjust your height first, and it you have a positioning setting then set that. Where you sit on the saddle is usually in direct relation to where it feels 'right' for you to keep steady action to the pedals, it's a matter of comfort and surety. If you don't feel comfortable in your saddle then adjust it.; Some people like to tilt the front down because they feel it gives then the best leverage against the back and keeps them on the saddle. A lot of new saddles don't even have a front to speak of for some reason (I know, something about less pressure to you know what) but I don't use those, I ride on comfort seats or old 60s/70s Troxels for cruisers, I prefer them.