Bike Forums - View Single Post - What is wrong with Wal Mart bikes?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-03, 11:12 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by zman92atl
Actually if anyone here from ATL area uses them what are your thoughts?? It is Cycleworks on Holcomb Bridge Road. I know most of you probably don't agree with how I'm going about this but it suits me better for my needs and wants and of course the best thing is I get to ride.
On the bike shops, Cycleworks is an excellent shop. In fact, next time you're in say hello to Jan, Alan & Matt. Alan & Matt are two of the best mechanics in the Atlanta area and Jan always goes out of her way to make sure you get the right answers, right bikes, etc... I met them years ago at Free Flite in Marietta, before they moved over to Cycleworks. Really nice folks.

Other really good shops that I have been to include:
- The Bicycle Link in the Buckhead Triangle
- Roswell Bicycles behind Andretti's on Houze Way
- Free Flite in Marietta

All I'll say about department store bicycles is that they account for 90% or more of all bicycle sales in the US. They certainly serve a purpose but how many do you actually see being ridden? When you do see them, how are they used and who is riding them?

This isn't bicycle elitism, just a reality check. One of the worst things that can happen with a new cyclist is a bad experience -- one that is so bad that someone decides cycling isn't for them. We see this all the time with tandems -- which are hard to find, relatively expensive compared to what most folks are used to spending on a bicycle and do require proper instruction. Department store bicycles -- for a variety of reasons -- have a long history of providing buyers with bad first experiences. If this wasn't so a lot more people might be out riding them.

Last edited by livngood; 04-22-03 at 12:31 PM.