Old 08-26-19, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie

My own clumsiness did some damage when I dropped my new bike walking it backwards and I stepped on the rear derailler and spokes. At fist glance I thought I was OK.

Untill I went to ride up a steep hill in 1'st gear and the bent derailler got caught in the spokes. Ruined the deraileur and bent the wheel.
One winter I slipped in my house after I came from riding in wet weather. Had a heavy load in my messenger bag. Fell forward on the side of the bike (Surly LHT) and bent the RD hanger. Figured I would get it fixed in the spring. Of course, I totally forgot. Took the bike out one fine day and decided to climb a steep hill to see just how low the granny gear really was. The minute I shifted to the smallest chainring and largest cog and head the noise, I remember the bent hanger. The cage had gone into the spoke and aspolded into a bunch of pieces. The hanger was twisted like a pretzel. Being a beefy, 36H wheel, it was only slightly out of true. Was a few miles from home. Skateboarded much of the way and walked the uphill part. LBS was able to straighten out the hanger.